• Report your injury to your supervisor or manager immediately, regardless of whether or not you think that you will need medical treatment.
  • Insist that your supervisor or manager prepare a written accident report.
  • Obtain a copy of the accident report from your manager or supervisor.
  • Attend all appointments and examinations scheduled for you by your employer’s worker’s compensation insurance carrier. Avoid re-scheduling appointments whenever possible. Missing or rescheduling more than one appointment may result in the suspension of your worker’s compensation benefits.
  • Keep copies of all restrictions, off-work statements, and reports given to you by each doctor that you see.
  • If you attend an appointment or examination outside of the county where you work, keep a log of the miles traveled, the date, and the name of the doctor. You are entitled to be reimbursed at the rate that employees in the State of Indiana receive per mile if you have to travel outside of your county of employment for any appointment or examination.
  • Track the time that you were unable to work due to your work injury. You are entitled to weekly TTD benefits if you are off of work for more than seven days.
  • If elgible, request a Board-appointed independent medical examination if the doctor chosen by the worker’s compensation insurance carrier releases you from further care and states that you have reached maximum medical improvement.
  • Report to the Indiana Department of Labor any threats or retaliations made by your employer for filing or attempting to file a worker’s compensation claim. It is against Indiana law to retaliate against an employee for filing a worker’s compensation claim.
  • Ask for a second opinion if you are unhappy with your medical treatment. Your employer’s worker’s compensation insurance carrier will decide whether or not to grant this second opinion.
  • Contest any denial of benefits on the basis of a pre-existing condition. You are entitled to benefits even if you had a pre-existing condition, as long as the injury is an aggravation of the existing condition.
  • Consult with an experienced worker’s compensation attorney if you have any questions, doubts, or concerns about your case. These consults are free and can mean the difference between a denied claim and a settlement.