indiana workers compensation

Is Future Medical Covered Under the Indiana Workers’ Compensation Act?

future medical coverageMany injured workers are eligible for future medical coverage if a work related injury requires future medical coverage. Under the Indiana Workers’ Compensation Act, once an injured worker completes his or her medical treatment and reaches the point of maximum medical improvement, the insurance company will offer a settlement. That settlement is typically based upon a degree of impairment called a Permanent Partial Impairment.

A PPI rating is assigned by a doctor when the injured worker reaches a point where his or her injury will not significantly improve with further medical treatment, also known as maximum medical improvement. In short, a PPI rating is a medical doctor’s determination of some permanent loss of function of a body part (or parts) as a result of an employee’s work accident. The rating does not take into account your ability to do your old job again.

First, doctors selected by insurance companies will often assign PPI ratings that are lower than other doctors may assign. This will save the insurance company money. Second, if an injured worker, at the time of maximum medical improvement, can prove to a judge that he or she will have future medical needs causally related to the work accident claim, the worker has the right to pursue a claim for future medical coverage.

The injured worker, at the time of settlement, must be careful. If the worker accepts a PPI rating, the worker may be precluded from obtaining future medical coverage. The wise worker will not accept the PPI settlement and will instead negotiate a settlement signed off on by the judge which requires the insurance company to pay future medical coverage. It is your right as an injured worker to negotiate a higher settlement if you think the injury is serious enough that a second opinion from another specialist would likely result in a higher PPI rating. Here are some things to consider when deciding if you should negotiate:

  • Did my injury require surgery?
  • Is my injury an aggravation of a pre-existing injury?
  • Does the pain from the injury affect other areas of my body?

Not all workers’ compensation claims result in future medical coverage, and in fact only a small portion of them do. To receive an award of future medical coverage, the injured worker must prove to a judge that he or she will have “future medical needs casually related to the work accident claim and medically necessary to limit or reduce the impairment.” A doctor who has treated the injured worker will need to state very specifically the type of treatment required, period of time treatment will be needed and cost of future treatment. Then, the Board will consider these things in light of their affect on the injured worker’s impairment.

If the injured worker is awarded future treatment, it will be for the sole purpose of limiting or reducing his or her extent of impairment. This does not mean, however, that an injured worker who is left with any degree of impairment from his or her work injury will automatically be awarded future medical treatment by the Board.

If you have any questions on this topic, please feel free to contact an attorney at Klezmer Maudlin. Call our office at (317) 569.9644.

Can You Recover Workers’ Compensation Claims if You’re Not a US Citizen?

Even if you are an immigrant to the United States, you can still claim workers’ compensation benefits. Immigration is a The Worker’s Compensation Act of Indiana mandates that employers provide medical treatment and wage replacement in the form of temporary total disability benefits to “employees” who sustain “accidental injuries, arising out of and in the course of the employment.”

Here is one family’s journey from immigrating to the United States, battling through language barriers and a devastating work injury. Read about what this family has gone through and how Klezmer Maudlin helped:

141009122019-us-mexico-border-2013-horizontal-large-galleryMy experience when it comes to the United States was not easy but I’m sure it’s not easy for anyone. Everyone has a different story to tell, and this is mine.

I was eight years old when I came to the United States with my mother and four children. I did not speak English and did not know anyone. My mom enrolled me in school, but it wasn’t easy. The children were rude and teased me that I did not understand what they said. My teachers tried to talk to them but it was hard since they didn’t speak Spanish.

Eventually we moved to another area which is where I began to learn English and adapt to the new culture. I did not like the food, I thought it had a funny taste, and the people were physically and emotionally different than what I was used to.

My mother worked all the time so I barely saw her. One day she had a very bad accident at work. This was a very ugly experience. After a year of rehabilitation, she was allowed to go home but nothing was the same. She was not herself, she was physically and emotionally very different. Her I could not work his accident permanently hurt the waterways.

Then we contacted Randy Klezmer, a workers’ compensation attorney. Regardless of my mom’s legal status, he took the case. In less than a year he managed to win the injury claim for my mom. Randy was always very honest and helpful. Today, things are not the same but improved. It was not easy to decide to consult a lawyer due to the immigration status of my mother, but we all have rights.

Construction Site Accidents Happen, We Can Help

stock-photo-16304582-construction-site-accident1-300x250The construction industry can be a very dangerous field of work. Contractors, developers, property owners, product manufacturers and employers are required to abide by strict construction site safety regulations, but sometimes they don’t always comply.

If an employee has been injured during a construction job due to safety standards not being met, the accident victim may be eligible for compensation by filing a workers’ compensation claim. But did you know that parties other than your employer could potentially be liable for your work injuries in a third-party claim? Other responsible parties include subcontractors, equipment manufacturers and drivers.

In 2013, one in five worker deaths were in construction. OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) has four different categories of construction worker injuries titled “the fatal four” which include falls, electrocutions, “caught in-between” and “struck by object.” The fatal four account for 58% of construction worker fatalities.

Some common construction site injuries and accidents that we handle include…

  • Slip and fall accidents
  • Head injuries
  • Spinal injuries
  • Back injuries
  • Heavy machinery/crane accidents
  • Exposure to dangerous, toxic chemicals
  • Fires and explosions
  • Trench and scaffolding collapse

Report your injury to your employer as soon as possible and seek medical attention. Focus on your recovery while the lawyers at Klezmer Maudlin work on your case to help get you the maximum amount of compensation you deserve. Our lawyers will help you gather the evidence you need to your suit. Regardless of who is at fault, you have a right to file a claim for benefits which cover medical expenses and a portion of your lost wages.

If you file a third-party claim, the compensation revered is in addition to your workers’ compensation benefits which can include pain and suffering, lost wages, medical expenses and more.

If you or a loved one has been involved in a construction accident, call Klezmer Maudlin at 317.569.9644 so we can get started right away at pursue your claim.

Doctor Claims Injury is Not Work-Related, What Now?

QuestionWhat if I reported my injury and there is no written report made? I was sent to a doctor who would not even look at my hand because he said it was not due to some immediate accident or trauma. He said that the Indiana Workers’ Compensation law does not cover any injury that is gradual over time due to repetitive motion unless you are a secretary and typing. He told me it was not work related because of this and did not examine the hand. I have requested a second opinion. I also asked for a copy of the injury report and was told there isn’t one. The plant manager is out of town and is doing it over the phone.

Answer: The doctor told you wrong. I would be interested in knowing who your employer is and who the doctor is. Sometimes the doctor works very closely with the employer and their opinions are influenced by the employer.

You absolutely can have a condition that is a result of repetitive use or trauma. I suspect you are talking about carpel tunnel syndrome which is a very common condition in many professions, not just typists. For instance, truck drivers and factory line workers often develop carpel tunnel syndrome as a result of their employment. There can also be issues related to a condition called trigger finger or trigger thumb that can be work related and results from employment activities.

In Indiana, employers must pay the compensation and benefits provided under the Workers’ Compensation Act when the following four elements of a worker’s compensation claim are met. If the employer/carrier denies a worker’s compensation claim and the dispute is heard by the Board, the employee has the burden of proving each of the elements.

  1. personal injury or death;
  2. by accident;
  3. arising out of the employment; and
  4. in the course of employment.

“Injury” and “personal injury” mean only injury by accident arising out of and in the course of employment and do not include a disease in any form except as it results from the injury.

“By accident” means that the injury was unexpected. To occur “by accident,” the injury may be either an “unexpected event” or an “unexpected result.” Under the “unexpected result” theory, the injury to the employee may be the combined injurious effect of repetitive motions.  The definition of “by accident” as both an unexpected event and an unexpected result means that a broad range of injuries is potentially compensable in Indiana.

As to your employer’s refusal or failure to report your injury. Ind. Code §22-3-4-13(a) requires that employers file the Employer’s Report of Injury with the Workers’ Compensation Board if an injury results in the death of an employee or in the employee’s absence from work for more than one (1) day. Failure to comply with reporting provisions may subject the employer/carrier to a $50 civil penalty to be collected by the Board. This report must be filed with the employer’s insurance carrier. Sometimes, employers try to avoid reporting work conditions because they want to avoid increases in their premiums for workers’ compensation insurance because of the reports of injuries or work conditions.

If you have found yourself in this situation, you probably want to utilize the help of a lawyer to fight for what you’re owed. Contact our office at 317.569.9644 today.

Have a question for us? Send an email to for help.

What is a deposition?

In many workers’ compensation cases, the insurance company’s attorney will want to talk to you, meet you, and take your statement.  If the statement takes place under oath in the presence of a court reporter, we refer to that as a deposition.

Depositions in workers’ compensation cases usually last 1 to 2 hours. The questions typically involve topics such as how you were injured, your prior medical history before the accident date, what jobs you have held in the past, and what benefits you are seeking.  The most important area of your deposition usually is your past medical history.  Being honest is key.  Be sure you do your best to remember any previous similar injuries.

For example, if you have a back injury, you will be asked about your previous history of back injuries.  If you deny such history and the insurance company finds out that you did have past back problems, that may be used against you in front of the judge.

Remember a deposition is nothing more than a question and answer session, under oath, in the presence of the employer’s attorney and your attorney, if you have hired one.

If you have questions regarding a work-related injury or personal injury accident, contact our office at (800) 809-3776 for a free initial consultation to discuss your claim. under oath

How long does it take to get a worker’s compensation hearing before a Judge?


Every case is different. Most workers’ compensation claims are settled without a hearing. The Workers’ Compensation Board of Indiana requires both parties to make attempts to settle their disputed issues on their own before bringing them in front of a Judge. Going through this process can take some time.

Hearings are scheduled in either the county where the injury occurred, the county where the employer is located, or a county nearby.

Does the Indiana Workers’ Compensation Act protect my job?


Workers Compensation Laws Indiana

Unfortunately, the Indiana Workers’ Compensation Act does not protect or secure an injured worker’s job after a work accident. The Act only bars an employer from firing an employee in retaliation against him or her for filing a workers’ compensation claim.

It is your right to pursue a claim under the Workers’ Compensation Act. However, injured workers sometimes find themselves getting written up or reprimanded for issues that would not have been a big deal in the past, once they do return to the job after a work accident. These issues may serve as a basis for the employer to fire the employee at a later time, or the employer may push the injured worker to feel like he or she should resign.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, you should consult with a qualified Indiana worker’s compensation attorney.

Workers’ Compensation & the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)


If you have a condition that significantly reduces or limits your ability to work, you may be considered disabled according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and therefore protected by this federal law.

The ADA applies to any employer with 15 or more employees. The Act says that an employer cannot discriminate against workers with disabilities. This includes those who may be a candidate for a position as well as those who already hold a position, such as an injured worker who is left with a disability due to a work accident, but who wants to return to his or her place of employment.

An injured worker whose work abilities have been limited by a work accident will probably be evaluated by a doctor to find out how well he or she can perform the necessary duties of the job. If the worker’s condition limits him or her from performing job tasks that are not critical to the job, then the ADA would require these tasks be reassigned. In a similar manner, if the task that the worker is unable to do are critical to the job, then the ADA requires the employer to consider a reasonable accommodation that would help the worker to still complete this task. This might include special equipment or a device that relieves some of the physical nature of the worker’s job; however, the law does not clearly define this term.

Vocational Rehabilitation for Injured Workers


Vocational rehabilitation may be available to you as an injured worker if you are not able to return to the job you were doing before the work accident. However, the Workers’ Compensation Act does not require the employer to pay for this additional treatment. The Office of Vocational Rehabilitation [(317) 232-1319] can assist you with questions regarding this process.

Workers’ Compensation & the Jones Act


The Jones Act provides benefits to seamen who work on-board a vessel in navigation and who are injured on the job. A seaman is someone who spends a substantial amount of his or her time on-board the vessel. For example, riverboat casino employees may be treated as seamen under the Jones Act.  Riverboat casino employees who have been injured on the job and are unsure of their rights should contact an attorney familiar with workers’ compensation and with the Jones Act.

Questions surrounding the Jones Act and whether employees falling under this law are eligible to receive Indiana workers’ compensation benefits have surfaced more recently. Some attorneys believe that employees under the Jones Act are still eligible for workers’ compensation benefits in Indiana. If your employer tells you otherwise, you should consult with an attorney about YOUR RIGHTS to workers’ compensation benefits.