Getting a Second Medical Opinion on a Work Injury



During the course of your medical treatment with the worker’s compensation doctor(s), if you want a second opinion, it is YOUR RIGHT to seek one on your own, but it will be at your own expense. And again, you may run the risk of having the worker’s compensation benefits you are entitled to suspended if the treatment with this personal doctor interferes with the worker’s compensation doctor’s treatment.

medical opinion

If you feel strongly that you need a second opinion, you may consider requesting an independent medical examination (IME) through the Worker’s Compensation Board of Indiana. This option would be available to you once you are released from the worker’s compensation doctor to return to work. You can read more about independent medical examinations, or IME’s, here.

scroll to top